VesselsValue Analyzes Shipping Markets
An analysis by VesselsValue (May 2018) found that the entire shipping market has drastically changed over the past few years. Adrian Economakis, Vessels Value’s COO, talks about the future of this industry.
Here is some good news:
- Compared to the state the Bulker and Container markets were in two years ago, the market has significantly improved and will continue to do so.
- Panamax container ships have seen a rebound in asset values of approximately 40 pc for a five-year-old ship over the past year
- Bonus: Earnings have spotted to be above operating costs
- This pattern will continue to improve in the next 2-3 years.
There is also some bad news:
- For the large crude tankers, the tanker earnings are low.
- Small clean tankers are doing better comparatively, but are still low.
- Asset value for tankers has gone up by 10% and smaller tankers by 20% compared to last year, despite it being a weak spot in the market.
- The outlook for prime aged asset values looks positive.
There's also some ugly news:
- Due to oil prices coming down in 2014/2015 (in the past two years), the offshore industry has seen a 70% decrease in value.
- Although there is some news of recovery in oil prices, oil companies still have a long way to go.
- Offshore is still saturated with low-value commodity type OSV and AHTS, it is expected that the values will remain low over the next few years.
- The offshore industry vessels (Diver Support Vessels, Offshore Support Vessels and accommodation vessels) are still being used to maintain existing structures, which means there are good chances for growth.
VesselValue is a UK based research firm that provides the following services: Our four core modules VV$ (Value), VV+ (Search), VV@ (Mapping) and VV Trade and give you access to real-time values, advanced database functionality, vessel tracking and vessel trade and ton-mile demand information.